Saturday 14 March 2015

An Uncomfortable Return

We got back from Glasgow yesterday at about 8.00 pm. Once I'd had time to take in what was going on in the house I wanted to turn round and go straight back to Glasgow.

I know we're in the middle of having the hall re-decorated and I know that, especially in a one storey house that's a major undertaking. But really--- does it have to affect every room? The two spare rooms are already full of stuff we had moved out of the hall to allow it to be decorated. The bathroom door was partly blocked by a bucket. Our bedroom door was likewise blocked with the addition of half a bookcase blocking the rest. The stuff in my study had been moved round and the room was mainly taken up with a pasting table. The living room still has no door, the gap between the ceiling and wall in the hall has still not been covered with coving, the electrician has still not been back to put in the new down lighters, the cupboard for covering my electric meters has still not been installed, nor have the new window sills in hall and living room, and my hall and living room carpets have been cut to shreds. There are steps and ladders and buckets and tools and wallpaper off cuts all over the house.
 
I am sick of living like this.
 
Additionally the house was absolutely freezing and the OH's first two attempts to light the fire ended in dismal failure. It started to look like a real fire and kick out some warmth about the time I schwiggled myself round the end of a book case and took myself off to bed.
 
I can't relax when the place is like this, but I have to, because I have no choice. I can't work when the place is like this, but I have to because regardless of the rest, the Gaelic and the study have to go on. And the worst of it is there are two more rooms to be re-decorated before we can start putting the place back together - just in time for summer and the new roof I suspect.

1 comment:

  1. My god, Anne, it sounds like hell :( Deepest sympathy - I hate having disruption, even when carefully planned, and this sounds like chaos!!

    ReplyDelete