Thursday 3 January 2013

The Prestige

 
 

 
 
My daughter-in-law used to work for Odeon Cinemas and she and son no 1 therefore saw an amazing number of films, usually for free. Which pleased them, as they are quite film buff-y. Anyway for years now he has been telling me I should watch The Prestige as it's such a great film and I would love it.
 
Seeing that it was on  TV yesterday I decided that I would watch it since it came so highly recommended. And I really don't know what to make of it.
 
This is partly because, wonderful actor though he is, I have never warmed to Christian Bale. He was good in this, I mean really really good. As was Jackman. And Michale Caine. And the basic premise of the film was a good one; two Victorian magicians locked in a feud, each trying to outdo the other.  
 
But I saw one major twist very early on, and several others as the film went on. I missed one completely though so not totally un-bamboozled. Over and above that though, the major problem was that neither of the two lead characters was at all likeable, and once you decide you don't care which of them is the best magician/comes out on top than there really isn't much point in watching the film. I stayed with it to the end, but I won't be rushing to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment