Thursday 24 January 2013

I Is Tired

A few weeks ago a nice man called Innes rang up and asked if our holiday flat was available from tomorrow for two weeks. I stifled an urge to laugh at the thought that I was turning away tourists in droves at this time of year and told him yes, and he booked it. It wasn't for him, it was for two of his employees who were coming to Orkney to do some tidal energy monitoring right next to our friend Sue and they needed somewhere to stay and Sue had suggested our flat. Which was very kind of her and we're grateful.
 
It did mean though that we had to flog all the way over to Birsay this morninng, which is about as far away from where we live as you can get on Orkney without actually driving into the sea. That side of Orkney is also covered in snow, something which our own little corner of the county has so far avoided. And once we got there we had to clean the flat. Since the place hadn't been properly cleaned since after the last lot of guests left in September that gave us a bit to do. Still Sue turned up at one stage with a cake and we put the kettle on and had a chin wag, and I gave her the receipt for Innes' employees and strict instructions not to hand it over until they had given her the cheque for the rental and after about four hours really hard work the place was ready. And it looked good, very cosy and welcoming, if I do say it myself.
 
When we got home my ankle and my back both ached really badly so I settled myself in a chair with the TV remote to hand, a cat on my lap and my latest sock project in my hands. It's the most intricately patterened sock I have yet attempted, which wouldn't necessarily be saying much since I haven't tackled anything too advanced in the way of patterned socks until now; however this one is a huge step forwards and  I am pleased at how relatively quickly they are growing. They were a great stress buster/excuse not to look at the screen at various points in Whitechapel [don't ask me why I watch it because I really don't know].
 
I'm planning to spend part of tomorrow reading a Very Clever Book about poetry and art in Scotland, which I have to sort of tee myself up to as it's quite dense and involves me in looking properly at pictures and stopping every few pages to make sure I'm following the argument so far, and when I've done that I shall reward myself by doing the heel flap and turn on my sock. That sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment