Thursday 29 November 2012

Lassoo-ing my Toes

 
 
 
Tuesday saw me at the doctor's surgery to meet my physiotherapist who, in common with everyone I've ever met there, was very pleasant and blessed with a sense of humour. I could tell though that she wasn't overimpressed by my walking with crutches technique.
 
Anyway she poked and prodded and asked questions and it's really all good news, because the injury is healing well and I've been lucky not to have very much pain or any complications. We also had a bit of a chat about how the accident might have happened in the first place and she managed to reassure me that I don't have a nasty muscle wasting disease, just weak muscles round my ankles.
 
She ran through some exercises with me which are designed to loosen my tightened calf and get full rotation back into all the joints in my foot, which are laudable aims, and the reason I try not to mind too much that they're painful to do. I don't mind pointing my toes down like a ballerina (ha!), and lassoing my toes with a dressing gown belt and pulling my foot towards me is quite hilarious, especially when coupled with cries of Hey Ho Silver! But rotating my feet hurts and my ankle aches when I walk now.
 
We also talked a bit about balance and how and why the accident might be affecting that. I had to say that the thing that was mostly affecting my balance at that point was the picture on the wall behind her, which I've put at the top of this post. (Well you didn't want to see a picture of my foot, did you?) I had to avoid looking at it as best I could throughout the consultation, because if I do give it more than a fleeting glance it  makes me feel giddy and sick. Which is not a good thing.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment