Tuesday 13 November 2012

A Good Time for Crime


of the fictional TV type that is.
 

 
 
While I haven't found the new series of Banks particularly engaging (but then again the old series was/were no better, and let's face it, casting Steven Tompkinson as the central character was a huge huge error, except maybe in marketing terms) there are two promising crime dramas on the near horizon.
 
 
Saturday sees the arrival on BBC4 of The Killing 3. While I have to confess to some disappointment in the second series, I'm still looking forward to the third and final incarnation of Sara Lund. I'm hoping that the rather too military/political concerns of series 2 will give way once more to the  domestic environment that was so central to Series 1. That series' great strength was in recording and displaying the awful outward ripple effect of the central murder of Nana Birk Larssen; excellent acting by a cast who looked like real people, as opposed to the glamorous clones who inhabit all of American TV drama these days, showed the viewer that death, especially violent death, is a diminishment and limitation of those left behind. My heart beld for Nana's parents, and her little brothers; in contrast I can remember little about the victims or their relatives, in Series 2. Incidentally as a knitter I am expected to get excited about Sara Lund's jumpers; generally though  I don't . The patterns tend to be too big.
 
 
  
 
 
Away from the night time gloom and rain that is The Killing's Copenhagen, is the sunny Seville of Falcon. I have read Robert Wilson's quartet of novels featuring Javier Falcon of the Seville Police: three were excellent,and all four absorbing reads. I'm really looking forward to watching the new dramatisation coming up on Sky; it seems to have an excellent cast, and from the trailers, there will be plenty of glimpses of Seville too.
 
 
 
 
 
And still to come later in the season is Ann Cleeve's Shetland, to which I shall also doubtless be glued.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment