Saturday, 12 September 2026

Wales - Wrap Up

Since our next holiday is (too) rapidly approaching I thought I'd make the effort to finish recording our week in Wales back in June .  The rest of our adventures, such as they were, were nearer to the cottage where we were staying. We had a leisurely day in Port Madoc visiting the maritime museum and going to Cadwalladers for an ice cream. No pics of the ice cream but here's the harbour at Port Madoc, and some crafty circles inside the museum. We are suckers for maritime museums; no idea why since neither of us has any connection to navies or sailing, although as long term readers might appreciate, when we're not knackering our knees we're quite partial to a bit of rowing.  



Naturally we visited the OH's favourite heritage railway station of Tan-y-bwlch,  as pretty as ever


There's also a good tearoom should you ever be in the vicinity and wanting to watch steam trains and have a cup of tea. Don't make my mistake and drink your tea outside if there's a train due; half of mine got wasted after the train deposited a good sprinkling of ash* into it. 

* I know it's not actually ash, but I don't know the technical term for whatever it is steam trains spew into the cups and over the clothing of the unwary.

And on our last day we went for  a ride on a steam train; the one that runs along the side of Lake Bala. It was still very hot so chugging along beside the lake was a pleasant experience - much more pleasant than going for  walk anyway. We saw both red kites and buzzards, sadly too high to take meaningful photos. This was our engine, Alice 




and here's a view of the lake



and that was our Welsh break. 

Phew! I'm glad I've caught up with that. The next trip isn't for another four weeks yet but I've got a crazy busy time coming up next week - gold star to anyone who's thinking, oh yes, it must be almost Bloody Scotland time - and there are various other things in the calendar which might find their way onto here - not to mention that I have a top I want to complete before we go. That has stuttered to a temporary halt as I found myself without the needles I need to do the sleeves. It is a constant mystery that however many needles a knitter has there is always a huge chance that when they knit something new they won't have at least one of the needles necessary. I would say, maybe that's just me, but I know it isn't. 

The necessary needles have been ordered and happily the top has been coming along quite quickly so it should be done in time. I'm crossing my fingers it will make an appearance in the September finished projects post. 





No comments:

Post a Comment