As anticipated last week was very busy although not necessarily with blog worthy things.
Monday was Book Group Day, and they had chosen a J D Kirk so there I was reading another one after two months 'off'. Report to come in the book round up post.
Tuesday was medical stuff; I had an eye test in the morning and we both had appointments for our flu jabs in the afternoon. Obviously my eye test was with a new optician since I hadn't had my eyes tested since we moved. I was a bit nervous, as I always am before an eye test, which given my lamentable vision history isn't surprising. but in fact it was very reassuring. My sight is fine, and it appears that the partial thickness macular hole is probably stable, but the new optician has requested the scans from my previous ones so that she can compare. The flu jabs were fine, I didn't even feel mine going in, possibly because I wasn't looking? and when asked about previous side effects of flu jabs we both blithely said oh, only sore arms, never felt ill after one. Ha! Those were words that came back to haunt us both.
Wednesday we met up with our friend K for coffee in Stirling; hadn't seen her for a while so lots of catching up.
Thursday was the start of the new season of the Stirling and Forth Valley Arts Society branch. I'm sure I must have mentioned joining this last year and presumably reported on their, generally excellent, talks. I was very much looking forward to this one which was on William MacTaggart, a C19 Scottish painter, held to be one of the best painters of the sea ever. To wit;
Yeah, a photo of a slide on a screen which itself was taken from a picture in a book, I think; it's not giving anyone the best idea of MacTaggart's skill. Google images is your friend here should you be interested. Meanwhile I became aware about half way through the talk that I felt distinctly off; slightly nauseous, a bit of a headache and wait! could that actually be a flu like shiver? I skipped the normal post talk lunch with a group of friends and took myself straight to the train station. When he picked me up the OH exclaimed 'what on earth has happened, you look totally wiped out' which isn't necessarily how a woman wants to be greeted by her nearest and dearest, but I felt too ill to care really and it was probably true. I went straight to bed when I got home and slept for five hours and by the time I got up again the OH was also feeling quite ill. We will be cross if we get flu this winter ....
I was not particularity impressed by the talk which I thought badly structured and fairly uninformative given that the speaker talked for an hour, but it seems I was very much in the minority in that view.. It may be that my reaction was coloured by feeling ill, in a way reminiscent of last year's opera stramash. Who can say?
Friday saw the beginning of Bloody Scotland, but as that is still taking up time I'll bundle all the reports from there into one dedicated post.
Meanwhile the needles arrived and the 'holiday' top is almost complete. The sleeves are done, so now it's just a case of making sure I have the body the right length before starting the finishing rib. I think another five rounds will see that done, but of course I can't be sure without trying it on, a delicate manoeuvre if you want to be sure of not losing stitches from the needle!

No comments:
Post a Comment