Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Well that was a fun day

 The OH returned from his trip to his island paradise (Orkney) on Monday, by which time I was totally frazzled after 3 days of total responsibility for a cat that, despite what they said at the shelter when we adopted him, does indeed love exploring away from  home and displays an uncanny ability to find spots to lie down where his tracker is shielded from anything that might pick up its signal. I hardly dared let him out of my sight so I was extremely glad when the Master of the House returned by mid-afternoon, after which I took myself off to bed and slept for about six hours. 

I had arranged to go to Edinburgh for lunch with friends on Tuesday and by Monday evening was regretting that I had ever contemplated such a thing, as I still felt totally wiped out and unwilling to engage with anyone beyond faintly requesting yet another cup of proper coffee, but on Tuesday morning I got up, pulled up my big girl pants, bought the ticket and got on the train.  

I'm so glad I did. I was early so I pottered around a couple of shops, had a coffee and a brief look around in the National Gallery and then made my way to Meze Meze on Rose Street  where my friend G had booked a table for lunch. We were joined by S, an academic at Edinburgh University who I know via Facebook and who I had long wanted to meet in person and R, a friend of G's who she was keen S and I should meet. 

The table was booked for one o'clock and we left at four which I think says a lot  about how much we were enjoying ourselves. Lots of academic discussion and lots of academic gossip(!) plus various discussions on travel, cats and coping with bereavement all played their part in our conversation. The company was wonderful and so was the food ( Meze meze is a Lebanese Restaurant and I can't wait to go back) 

Firsts ...


... and seconds . Uncharacteristically I did not order a creme brulee which I normally do if it's on the menu; two of the others did and I'm told they were very good, but I was happy with my alternative choice. 

The service was friendly and unpushy and altogether it was delightful place to eat. I'd told the OH that I would come straight home 'after lunch' and I suspect he was therefore expecting me somewhat earlier than 18.03! which was the time my return train pulled in to Alloa station. 


No comments:

Post a Comment