So obviously not the account of the day we both really enjoyed in Wales - that's still to come in due course. Meanwhile on Wednesday we went up to Birnam.
Obviously we didn't go there for a woodland walk or we would have needed to go to Dunsinane. We went to see an exhibition by my favourite print make Abbie Lois, in the Birnam Arts Centre.
It had a cheerful bear by the door
and I have to say it is a lovely large bright and airy space. The gallery where the exhibition was is upstirs and this is partly why I say it was a day of two halves because I was just a wee bit disappointed in it. This was my fault, as I was expecting there to be more new work than there actually was. A lot of the prints I had seen before and although they are lovely I'd been expecting more new things. It's one thing to nip into Stirling to see less than you had expected; another to drive all the way to Birnam for the same experience.
Since we were in their neck of the woods we'd arranged to see my friend S and her husband for lunch and I'd suggested the cafe at the Arts Centre as on paper it looked fine. On closer in-person inspection not quite as good as anticipated, especially since it was approaching lunchtime and all they had in a savoury line was two rather depressed looking ham and cheddar baps. Even if at least one of us hadn't been a vegetarian that wasn't going to feed four of us. Luckily, as the exhibition hadn't taken as long as anticipated we were able to have a quick stroll around the village , bits of which are very picturesque,
and we found an alternative venue, which I think was called the Oak Tree cafe and it was just what we were looking for. We managed to intercept the others before they got as far as Birnam Arts and we had an excellent lunch and, just like my previous experience at Meze Meze, we were there for quite a long time after we had finished eating! It was great to catch up. I know my stay at the Ilkley Hotel earlier this month gave rise to some funny moments but Sharon had just been staying in a hotel in the Highlands which obviously gave it a run for its money. Much laughter around the lunch table. Definitely no lack of enjoyment during this part of the day.
I am out all day tomorrow doing something exciting, of which more anon; next post though should be wool stats and project news for July and for the first time in a while I'm not dreading totting up the numbers!
No comments:
Post a Comment