So on Day 2 we took ourselves off to another garden; this one on the Lleyn peninsula. It was called Plas yn Rhiw. It was even hotter than the day before and it was a long drive ( at least the car has air con!) and the garden isn't anything like as nice as the one at Plas Brondanw
Plas yn Rhiw belongs to the National Trust so at least we got in free although I have to say our National Trust for Scotland cards were initially treated with a blank expression; you would think NT employees would be taught to recognise the cards for similar organisations with reciprocal agreements re entry but apparently not. Well either that or this guy had forgotten everything he ever knew about the NTS.
The house is currently shut for some very necessary renovations ( bees nesting in the ceiling anyone?) so only the garden was on show. I'm sure it's lovely and very interesting but it didn't particularly float our boat. But as I said it was uncomfortably hot and that coloured our reactions to things almost every day for the whole week.
They had a very nice tearoom though; it was full to overflowing when we arrived but, once we'd looked at the gardens, the coachload of German visitors ( who we had seen the previous day at Plas Brandanw and who we decided must be on a tour of 'Little Known Gardens of Wales') had gone. I had the nicest piece of sponge cake there that I have had out in years; it was delicious. I'm not saying that it was worth the long drive there just for the cake but it possibly came close!
The other thing the garden had going for it was fantastic views.
A few photos






No comments:
Post a Comment