Tuesday 13 February 2024

We Went Out!

 I haven't posted for  a while because due to  the truly appalling weather we've been more or less confined to the house except for  boring things like doctor's visits and supermarket shopping . Let me say here that I have not been unhappy spending time reading, knitting, and doing a little bit of light housework when the mood takes me, but it makes for boring blog posts. 

I thought yesterday would be more of the same but when we got up the sea and the sky were blue, the wind had dropped, and the sun was shining. So I suggested that we go out and do a long drive around the coast of West Mainland, and get out now and again for a short walk should we find somewhere that wasn't totally sogged. Uncharacteristically spontaneous of us I know. 

We decided to go clockwise so passed through Kirkwall then turned onto the road that goes along the south coast to Stromness. Very nice. And when we got to Stromness we got out and had a walk along the main street. It was a depressing experience. I know it's out of season but over half the shops were closed, as was the library and the Pier Arts centre. Even the goods in the Orkney Cats charity shop looed thoroughly depressed. 

We walked back and decided to partake of some hot chocolate and lemon drizzle cake from Julia's Shed before pressing on. Julia's use to be a very nice, if somewhat expensive cafe on the waterfront in Stromness. Julia has now sold it, possibly to someone called Albert as it seems to be known as Albert's now. Albert's was shut. Of Course. But Julia now has a shed next door (dating back to the  first lessening of Covid restrictions) where she does take away drinks and a limited selection of rolls and cakes, and a few seats outside where you can sit and watch the boats. So we did that - and it was very nice. However even as we sat there the temperature plummeted, the air grew very damp and some dark clouds started trolling towards us. We glugged down what was left of the hot chocolate, raced the rain to the car and came home. 

What is it the poet says about the best laid plans? But at least we had been out and had a bit of a walk and a change of scenery. So that was good. 

I managed a photo of OH, hot chocolate and the lemon drizzle 


Eagle eyed viewers may have spotted he has had a recent haircut (hurrah)  mainly in preparation for our trip to Glasgow later this week. Assuming the weather lets us get away of course. 


4 comments:

  1. If the weather doesn't let us get away can I have my hair glued back on ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you had a taste of fresh air, but I know what you mean about depressing streets of closed shops!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So - your route from Kirkwall to Stromness took you past my daughter's place. I am sure you are SO much happier for knowing that!! I had a coffee from that shed in 2021 just before I viewed and bought this house - it was grand.

    ReplyDelete