Thursday 1 February 2024

The Great Wool Sort Out - Update

 Well there is good news. The only wool added to the pile in January was 100g of sock wool which I received in a swap ( most of which was knitted up during the month) and there was 1490g taken from the pile, for  a net reduction of 1390g. A good start. 

I didn't manage to sell much; post Christmas and the way things are with the economy I suppose that's not surprising, and it wasn't any of my really nice yam, most of which lives in other boxes. So most of the yarn that's gone was either gifted, donated or used up. 

About half was used on the Finnish jumper which has already made an appearance here. Other things that I finished were 


the Stockholm Shawl, in the WYS Christmas colourway. Not finished in time for Stockholm sadly, but I suppose I can always take it there with me in March.


A sampler type cowl, using some worsted weight yarn sent to me by a friend in America.


This one had been languishing half done in Box 1 for a long time. When I say 'this one' that's  a bit misleading. The reason it was languishing was because I was trying to do another Anne of Green Gables cowl. I loved the previous one that I had done with the Game of Thrones minis from Laura at The Lonely Knitter (even though I had been less than impressed with the colours as some readers may remember) and thought I would see how it looked in this self striping yarn from Helen at Giddy Yarns. The answer was 'pretty awful' so I had abandoned it. Picked it up in January, pulled out what I had already done and started again, this time choosing only those stitches that did well in self striping and alternating them with plain sections. Although it was painful to rip out what I had done before as I had got quite a long way,  I'm very pleased with how this turned out in the end so that pulling it out and reknitting was a very worthwhile exercise. 


The aforementioned socks for which I used a lot of the wool I was given in the swap and paired it with some plain WYS for cuffs heels and toes. He loves them. So bright!



This was a small kit; I'd bought a few of them in a destash meaning them for swap parcels. One has been sent off in a swap, but I wanted to knit this one, Rather than use the rather yucky piece of ribbon and excuse for a bow that were supplied, I substituted a pretty button. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but the OH saw it, was charmed and claimed it, so it's now hanging in his office. 
 

A long since abandoned work in progress. I have no idea why I stopped work on this as all it needed was sewing up and buttons putting on. Obviously originally intended to got to the prem baby charity I have knitted for in the past this has now been claimed, and is being proudly sported, by one of our multifarious bears. 


And finally not knitting but a craft project completed this month and not previously recorded on here - a cross stitch thistle book mark from a kit sent to me by a friend. It's the sort of thing that in the past I might have done the cross stitch and then just left in s drawer but this time I finished it off properly with the felt backing and put on the tassel. It's lovely. 

1 comment: