Wednesday 21 February 2024

A Good Read

 


I get a lot of e-mails from Waterstones. This is because I have a loyalty card which is not very much use to me as my nearest branches are in Aberdeen or Inverness. If I ever go to Aberdeen I'm only ever swapping from ferry to train so I'm never near any shops and Inverness is where we refuel the car on our way south in an out of town place and again, nowhere near the Waterstones. On the other hand I do religiously visit Waterstones when I'm away and there are several branches in Glasgow, so it's worth keeping the card  and putting up with the e-mails.

Anyway a recent e-mail informed me that in addition to their monthly fiction, non-fiction and possibly crime/thriller(? you can see how much I focus on these things)  selections each month in 2024 they were going to be doing a Sci-Fi/Fantasy choice and I thought, because I am prone to such thoughts as anyone who has ever spent any time on these pages will know, wouldn't it be a good idea to buy that every month and acquaint myself with some authors I haven't previously encountered? My resolution wavered when I discovered that the January choice couldn't be mail ordered - what?????; you could just do a click and collect from your nearest branch. However I double checked with son no 2, who was more than willing to go and collect it for me so I ordered it and there it was, waiting for me in the flat on our recent trip to Glasgow. Godkiller by Hannah Kaner

I loved it. It has an original premise and some wonderful central characters and I am impatient to read  Book 2 which is now out and called Sunbringer. However as that is currently only available  in hardback and the paperback isn't due until January 2025 I will have to conserve my soul in patience.

Meanwhile I have the February choice and several other books bought on my recent trip to get stuck into. Of which more anon. 

1 comment: