Sunday 16 October 2022

Baking Subscription September

 


These are white chocolate and blueberry cupcakes and they're very nice indeed. Texture is more like a muffin than a cupcake but I'm not complaining. 

They were a bit faffy which is probably the main reason that it took me three days to get them finished (the other reason being that I was poorly sick and had to go to A and E at 11.00 pm on Friday night and spent most of yesterday in bed trying to decide if I could stay awake long enough to drag myself out of bed and get dressed. The very eventual answer to that was that I could do part 1 i.e. get up late afternoon but not part 2 i.e. get dressed. Happy to report that today I got up and dressed in a timely manner). 

So you make the cupcake. You put some white chocolate chips into the cupcake and sprinkle more on top. Not sure why you need to sprinkle any on the top since they later get hidden, but that's what it said so that's what I did, Then you make blueberry jam. As is often the case when I am asked to make jam mine left a bit to be desired in the thickening department. I'm beginning to think I should just boil it up as fast as I can and then leave it on the heat  until it sets in the pan, rather than bother trying to follow the directions about heat and timing and simmering and such in the recipe. 

Once the cupcake and the jam are cooled you cut a small amount out of the cupcake and spoon some of the blueberry jam (which at that point in the recipe they suddenly started referring to as syrup, so possibly they couldn't get theirs to set either) and then you put the cut out piece of the cupcake back. Then you make buttercream and split it in half. Half you leave plain, the other half you swirl more of the blueberry jam/syrup into. Then you put the two alternately into an icing bag fixed with a star nozzle and pipe a swirl of buttercream on the top of the buns, and then top each swirl off with a blueberry. Phew! 

I did all that and I hope someone is now clapping my efforts at piping the swirls because I was beyond reason pleased with how well they came out. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent swirls! They sound yummy. Sorry you’ve been ill again xx

    ReplyDelete