Wednesday 7 July 2021

Joint Effort

 


A wee while ago I bought some 'ripen at home' apricots because I like apricots and you don't often see fresh ones although I use shedloads of dried ones in my baking. At the weekend I had a trawl through my baking books to see what I could do with them and sadly there was a dearth of recipes that used the fresh, rather than the dried or tinned, variety. 

In the end I decided on an apricot and almond tart, which used tinned apricots but I decided that fresh ones would work and I set out to make it yesterday. 

I discovered that the food processor is what the OH referred to as 'a bit dodgy' these days. Apparently he's been saying that 'for ages'. Also that it should be thrown away - in the small electrical recycling skip at the local tip, not just chucked into the bin. . Maybe he has. I only ever use it for making pastry and if that's once a year that's all it is, so I possibly heard him say it without necessarily taking it in. It started, it stopped, it wouldn't re-start: the OH was summoned and he fiddled with it, it started again, the lid got jammed, and really it was all a lot of bother, and possibly more bother than it was worth. I ventured to suggest that perhaps it was time to be rid of the machine as per his previous position,  recalling that we had inherited it from my mother, who  had had it for some time and who died in 2004. At this point he did an about turn and declared that 'it was just the handle switch on the jug and he might be able to repair it with a bit of silicon glue'. (Sigh)

Anyway, having made the pastry I got him to roll it out because I hate doing that, I mashed up the apricots and discovered that I didn't have nearly enough so we had to add some canned peaches. and all in all by the time it was in the oven I had gone completely off the whole idea. 

It tasted good though. 

1 comment:

  1. Mum always said she had to be in the mood for dressmaking, otherwise everything would go wrong with it. Sounds like you had one of those days - glad it tasted good xxx

    ReplyDelete