Monday 27 April 2020

100 Books to Read Poster - Number 9


Yes, I have finally finished listening to The Help. 

I had forgotten how difficult it was to take good photos of the little pictures under the rub-off squares on the poster.  If you have read the book you'll know the relevance of the picture, and if you haven't I can't explain it because that would be a major spoiler.

I know I've made passing reference to listening to this a couple of times. It was a hard listen for three major reasons

1) There is too much time taken to  set-up the main situation, so that by the time you get to the major developments of the book you have almost lost interest in every single character who is in it. 

2) It was read by several different voices all with good southern states accents. The trouble is that's one accent that gets into my head and for days afterwards everythin' ah say or think is comin' out in a southern drawl. It's SO annoying. 

3) The subject matter is hard to take. It's astounding to me that this book is describing a situation that lasted well into my lifetime, and although I'd like to think that the hateful attitudes laid bare within it are no longer extant, I can't delude myself to that extent. 

For all that, the book is powerful, moving, shocking, and sometimes even funny. I would never ever read it again but I have to say that it was a hit rather than a miss. 

3 comments:

  1. I have it - but so far it’s still unread....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use the Macro setting on your camera (flower symbol), it adjusts the focus for very close photos e.g. for Flowers or little pictures on posters !

    ReplyDelete