Tuesday 22 October 2019

Baking Subscription October

So this month it was chocolate and orange marble cake - as so:-


I ignored the decorating instructions which waned me to make two separate icings, orange and chocolate, pipe alternate rosettes of them in the middle of the cake, and put a ring of them alternating around the top and then sprinkle with the chocolate curls. 

I'm afraid my reaction to that was along the lines of 'Blow that for a game of football, life is too short for me to bodge piping rosettes inside a cake'. So I made one lot of chocolate orange icing and spread it in the middle and all over the top. There was still loads left over; the OH tells me he is going to use it to sandwich some Paterson's shortbread fingers together. (I think that will be fairly horrible, but I suppose he might enjoy it). 

Also on the cake front we wet out on Saturday to try out a tea room new to us over on West Mainland, quite near the ferry terminal for Rousay. It' at the Fern Valley Wildlife Centre, which is fairly new on the Orkney scene. You can go to the tearoom without having to pay a small fortune to go and gawp at meerkats which is what we did. Here's what we had 


OH's chocolate cake on the left, and mine on the right was lemon, blueberry and white chocolate. We had lattes to drink and when the girl brought them over she asked us if 'we wanted any milk with those'. We did not laugh in her face, which was quite restrained of us we thought. As so often I would rather pay less and have a smaller slice, but it was a lovely cake. And the tearoom is nicely decorated in clam colours, has fantastic views over Eynhallow sound and the staff were very pleasant, even if they thought lattes needed extra milk! we would go again, which is always a good thing to be able to say. 

We will hardly know ourselves tomorrow as we are going out again - yes twice in four days!!!- to see the filmed version of Matthew Bourne's version of Romeo and Juliet. We don't know much about ballet but this is very highly recommended by People Who Do Know, as well as many friends, so we're looking forward to it. 

1 comment:

  1. And now I want cake 🤣🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete