Saturday 15 June 2019

Tolkien

Image result for tolkien film

We stumbled across the program for the local cinema in the Post Office last week;  just in time to see that the Tolkien biopic (imaginatively named, presumably by a Viking, Tolkien) was showing over the next two days. . I had previously assumed that this was such a niche film it would never make it to Orkney at all, and I had wanted to see it, so this was serendipitous. 

We went, and we both enjoyed it very much. Some of it is a bit mawkish, but then the Edwardians were a bit mawkish, so it wasn't that the film  was untrue to its time. Not everyone's cup of tea, but ours, anyway. Not the mawkishness, that was toe curling! but the subject. 

When we got home I went to the bookshelves to dig out y copies of the Humphrey Carpenter biography and also the Collected Letters, neither of which were anywhere to be seen. I find this odd, as I would never have given them away and I didn't think there were any  books in the loft. Anyway I will replace the biography with a Kindle version and read it very soon; sadly it appears that the edition I had of the Letters is no longer available.

And in order not to miss things lie this again, I have signed up for weekly emails form the cinema!

3 comments:

  1. Good to see such a well crafted film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to come across the program at the local cinema.

    For the books,have you checked on Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent - I shall put it on my list of films to watch! My Humphrey Carpenter went walkabout years ago, but it was reading that which inspired me to do my degree in Medieval English....

    ReplyDelete