Friday 28 June 2019

More Baking

Having got rather fed up with the 'over finished' products of the baking subscription, at the weekend I pulled out a rather beautiful baking book which a friend bought for me a few birthdays ago and which I had never used (partly because I didn't want to get greasy marks on it - the inevitable sign of a cookery book that is used, rather than decorates a shelf. Or is that just me? ) Anyway, there's nothing like starting at Page 1, helped by the fact that Section One in the book is Cakes, and I produced this


a summer fruit sponge. It had buttermilk in it, which I've never used in a cake before and it certainly brought a certain something. The cake was delicious and the only finishing off was a sprinkle of demerara sugar before baking. And that was quite sufficient. 

To go with it the book had an (optional)  recipe for a fruit sauce which was really easy to make. I did strain mine as the OH has a horror of raspberry pips, and we had some of the cake with it and some ice cream as a dessert one day.


Possibly the days of the baking subscription are numbered .... 


1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that looks yummy! Just goes to show that there’s no reason at all to faff to produce a good-looking, tasty cake

    ReplyDelete