Friday 15 February 2019

Seemed LIke A Good Idea at the Time

Last summer, when I was about to have my eye done and when I still thought I would be submitting my thesis at the end of January I was starting to wonder what I would do with my time when it was all over. I wanted a big, but not humungous project that would challenge me, keep me busy, but  that was creative rather than intellectual, because I knew I would want to rest my poor stretched brain for  a while. 

And lo! into my in-box at about this time, popped an invitation to join the Debbie Abrahams Mystery Blanket Club for 2019. It looked ideal - no, let me correct that, it was ideal. I'd toyed with the  idea of doing one of these before, the colour palette from the hints that were given sounded just up my street, the material was going to be a nice blend of wool and alpaca and other soft fibres and best of all it would be starting in February, so just at the right time. I signed up - because you know, who can't knit 6  6"x  6" blanket squares in a month? (Probably anyone who signs up for a sock club and then can't produce a  pair of socks a month to be honest, but let's not dwell on past failures, eh?)

Anyway yesterday the first pack of yarn (with some beads) arrived and it is indeed lovely. Look!


I realise that won't float everybody's boat but it does mine. Sadly there  are currently just one or two small snags in the Grand Plan to knit a blanket. The first is that the thesis, as we all know, is not yet finished, delayed as it has been by illness. The second is that I am short of  free pairs of needles in the correct sizes to check tension and cast on. And the third is that I have this morning given myself a double cut, in the shape of crossed swords, on the pad of my right index finger while trying to get a paracetamol out of the foil in which it was wrapped. Ouch!

Well, we'll see how we go. I've ordered some new needles, the cuts will heal in time and I can't be working on the thesis 24/7. Although some days I feel I should! Wish me luck with the blanket, I will need it.




1 comment: