Friday 14 September 2018

Life just got a bit out of hand

So it's been a few days longer than I expected since I last posted. It's amazing how life takes over when you can see again and start to do stuff!

So the big news I suppose is that I have bee to see my Director of Studies about recommencing the Ph D and I'll be starting again on 1st October. I haven't missed it nearly as much as I thought I would, which is a good thing, but  I do want to get it finished and done with so that I can look about for different things to do, that may be just as interesting, even if slightly less intellectually challenging.

The Dark Lord of University Gardens was not mentioned by me at all and happily only in passing by her , and that was  in tandem with the other external supervisor, so that was good news. We'll be reviewing where I'm at and then planning where to go. I'm a bit reluctant to look at what I've previously written because I suspect I will find some of it pretty dire, but who knows? anyway needs must. 

My new glasses finally arrived today so now it's a case of trying to get used to changing them over when needed. I'm sure it will be second nature in no time. 

We were away for the weekend, doing another of our madcap dashes to Leeds. This necessitated putting the cats in a cattery for the first time ever, and I felt terrible about it. They're so used to being able to wander in and out of the house at will so that putting them into even a generous sized cage seemed inhumane in the extreme. They didn't look particularly happy when we went to pick them up, but that said they didn't sulk or misbehave once they got home,  and apart from being a bit clingy for the first couple of days, seemed unmarked by the experience. So although it's not ideal I will be OK about leaving them there again, although first choice would still be to find someone who would come here and feed them while we're away.

While I was seeing my Dorothy Dunnett reading friends the OH managed to pass the time enjoyably, spilt almost equally between the Early Music Shop in Saltaire and the Lego shop in Leeds. He didn't buy anything in the Early Music Shop (we're thinking of buying and learning to play the lute 'after the Ph D' ) but he did spend a considerable amount in the Lego shop, although some of it was on presents for other people. I am trying to get my Canadian Christmas stuff organised really early this year so that I can send it International Economy aka by boat. Because sending it airmail is eye wateringly expensive and I can't help but think every year that for the price of the postage they could have had much nicer presents. Ah well, it's just one of the minor inconveniences of having family who live abroad I suppose. . 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with getting back to the PhD - I hope what you’ve written so far is nothing like as bad as you fear! (It’ll be brilliant, I’m sure 😄)

    ReplyDelete