Tuesday 7 February 2017

Project 60 No 42 - A Burns Night Supper

The OH thinks it's cheating to count this on the grounds that I have been to Burns Suppers before. It is not cheating however because I've never been to a proper Burns Night Supper, just the local WI one where the  nearest you get to celebrating Burns is someone saying the Selkirk Grace before you eat some haggis and mince cooked by the members themselves. That is to a real Burns Night Supper what a single electric candle is to a chandelier of wax ones, i.e. not really related at all.
 
And anyway this is my Project 60 and I decide what goes in it.
 
Anyway I went to the Burns Supper being put on by the local SNP branch, and it was the real thing. Piped in haggis, which was then slashed with a dirk while someone recited the relevant quotation, talk about the relevance of Burns today, plus Toast to the Lassies, and a reply thereto, all given by local worthies, haggis and clapshot to eat (followed by slightly non-canonical trifle) and a dram. Not being particularly sociable by nature - or at least, not very good in large groups of people - I tend to avoid this sort of thing where I know hardly anyone and have to make excruciating small talk with strangers, and I certainly don't intend to make an annual habit of attending, but it was an experience, which is the essence of Project 60 after all.
 
I did take some photos but they're not very good, combination of the yellow lights in the venue not being very conducive to photography and zooming in too far but here's one of the haggis being piped in, by Andy Cant who seems to make regular appearances on this blog!

or rather - here's not, because internet explorer seems to be objecting to my attempts to access my photos. I have absolutely no idea how to cure that piece of machine officiousness and as the OH is currently away in London - don't ask, he was so very very annoyed about having to go - will have to go photo-less until sometime after he returns. He's due back tomorrow evening but I might leave this until Thursday, he'll be hours after he first gets in listening to the cat's complaints about how I've mistreated them while he's been gone.

You can ignore that previous paragraph now, seems IE has got over its conniption fit.

 
This one is slightly less blurry, but as you will see I was a long way from the 'action' Not necessarily a bad thing!
 
 
 


 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. When Richard goes out on his own, Merlin sulks at *me* when he comes back. Apparently, as Mama Cat, I have clearly *forced* Richard to leave the house and abandon him 😉😉

    ReplyDelete