Sunday 17 July 2016

Project 60 NUmber 26 - Walking the City Walls in York


As some of you will know we lived for many years in Leeds, and so we were quite near to York but seldom went there. I can't now think why not, except perhaps that when we went out we tended to head for the North York Moors or The Dales rather than swap one city for another, so that apart from the obligatory visits to the National Railway Museum and one trip to Jorvik, York didn't really feature all that much on the radar.
 
But while we were in York for a week recently and looking for something the whole family could do, we thought we'd walk the walls. They're not quite a complete circle, but as near as dammit, considering how old they, are so off we set.
 
I have to say that for quite a lot of the way the views aren't particularly good, as a lot of city infill has taken place within them, and when I say city infill we're talking warehouses and offices, but in some places the views are very good.
 
I did doubt whether I would get all the way round as walking has been making my back ache for months and months now but I managed it. Not as quickly or as easily as I could have done it 20 years ago, and I did have to stop a couple of times,  but it was all the way round regardless.
 
I did take some pictures of some of the nicer bits, including a very good view of York Minster.
 
Also I have been to see a physiotherapist this week about my back and although she was rather surprised it didn't hurt almost all the time (well thank goodness for small mercies, say I) she pummelled me about a bit and it's a lot better. Also, according to the OH I am no longer leaning to the right when I walk, something of which I was totally unaware. She gave me some exercises to do every day and so far I've been very good and done them (but you know, three day out of three isn't that impressive) If I do them daily for 3 years, then I'll allow myself to be impressed.
 
And meanwhile, pictures of York, from the walls -
 



 
 
I know, it should be white roses, but I didn't see any of those, and the red ones were too lovely to pass by.
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found the pretty bits as well as the....more industrial views, shall we say? 😉😉 Excellent news on the back! H xx

    ReplyDelete