Thursday 16 October 2014

Project 60 - Number Two



That's a very dark picture - well it was a very dark day - so you may not be able to tell but that is Lemon Curd in those jars. Home made lemon curd. Made by me. As a baker but a non cook there are lots of things that I've never made along these lines; really anything that means I have to pay it undivided attention until it's done  rather than being slung in the oven on a timer. Anyway Project 60 seems a good opportunity to try and catch up on this sort of thing and Lemon Curd was the first one.
 
I asked around for recipes and finally decided to go with the Delia Smith, goodness knows why because I have had issues with her before, and I have to report that if I were to make lemon curd again I would go with a different one. When a recipe says 'whisk continually in the pan over a low heat until the mixture thickens (about 8 to 9 minutes)', then when I have done exactly that for 22 minutes and the mixture still shows no sign of thickening then something is wrong. To be fair it may be me that's wrong rather than the sainted Delia, but even so, it was disheartening. I was tempted to throw in a bit of extra cornflour but the OH started twittering on about how if I did that I would have to mix it with a little liquid, and given that the problem I was trying to solve was that the stuff was too liquid to start with, I decided against.
 
In the event the mixture sort of thickened (very) eventually, and once in the jars it set. Which was a huge relief, after all the time and effort. The OH who, unlike me, actually likes lemon curd, pronounced it lovely and graciously gave me permission to do it again. Don't hold your breaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment