Monday 20 October 2014

And then it was Delphi

I've wanted to visit the site of the Delphic Oracle since I was ?about 8. Ever since I first heard about it anyway and I can't imagine that would be much before I was 8 and reading about the myths and legends of Ancient Greece. So often when you've wanted something for a long time the reality is a disappointment, and I suppose overall Greece fell into that category, but Delphi was a shining exception. It was fascinating. It helped I suppose that we had a brilliant guide who wasn't hugely bossy and loud voiced, as all our other guides  were, and was prepared to tackle the philosophical tension at the heart of the site; the apparently opposing claims of 'Know Thyself' and 'Nothing in Excess' ( which is definitely not, as I was always taught, Moderation in all Things)
 
A few pictures
 
 
the view from our hotel room balcony in Delphi

 
the lady in the orange T-shirt is our excellent guide. The woman in the denim skirt and checked shirt I had to take to task for slandering Alex Salmond to a large group of people in the middle of the street. and at the top of her Daughter of the Empire Voice. She was not amused, although ironically enough she accused me of having No Sense of Humour,


the theatre. I am immensely proud of managing to snap this when there was absolutely no-one in shot!


a general view of the site, including the Athens Treasury (the building in the background with the pillars)
 
Supposedly the site of the Omphalos, the exact centre of the earth, according to Greek mythology and the reason that it because home to the Oracle.
 
Delphi was definitely the highlight of the holiday for me and it you're at all interested I would definitely recommend a visit. Well worth it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment