Monday 27 May 2013

From the coal face

I'm preparing a presentation for Thursday morning. It's for my North Atlantic Rim course; this is the final week and consists mainly of student presentations. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to do something on George Mackay Brown and his fictional re-tellings of the story of St Magnus. It was  partly because we didn't touch on Scotland or Orkney in the course itself. Goodness knows what the other reasons were.  It has taken me hours and I'm still a long way from home. I would regret not choosing something else, but to be honest whatever I chose would take me ages. At least immersing myself in this is stopping me from stressing over either the bone scan or the Ph D meeting. I got an agenda for the latter this morning; I suspect an hour isn't long enough. Even if, as resolved here I keep my mouth ultra ultra shut. (That's a John le Carre joke, for those who might care to spot such things.)
 
Ah well, back to GMB. And roll on 8.30 when I will pause and watch Only Connect. I am fascinated by this, particularly The Connecting Wall, but vary in my response to the competitors between awe at their breadth of knowledge and ability to think out of the box, and a huge irritation that they don't think it's worth getting out there and getting a life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment