Wednesday 22 May 2013

Bargain Books

We had a bit of an unsatisfactory weekend to the extent that we went to a couple of things that we expected to be much better than they actually turned out to be. There was a book sale at one of them though, and despite my decision to borrow books form the library rather than buy them these days, they were very cheap so we indulged ourselves to the tune of £2.50. For this we came away with
 
An Encyclopaedia of Astronomy (OH's latest obsession)
An Autobiography by Jose Carreras
The Lost Continent by Terry Pratchett
Skipet uten Drage - Vest I havet by Vera Henriksen
 
The Carreras autobiography will be a quick read and then donated to a charity shop as it seems to be a fairly surface thing, apart from the places where it deals with his leukaemia. I still remember going to his Covent Garden come-back concert after his recovery. I don't think I have ever been so excited/ tense for a concert either before or since and the thrill of hearing him live and realising that the voice was still there was something I could never put into words. It cost an absolute fortune but it was worth every pound. Also the sore throat; we drove back to Leeds straight afterwards and OH was tired so we had the windows open and I had to talk to him all the way back to keep him awake. It still counts as one of the greatest nights of my life though.
 
 
 
Skipet uten Drage is a series of Norwegian children's books - well I suppose you might call it Young Adult Fiction and I bought this because I've been threatening to try and revise and improve my Norwegian for a while. This seemed a good opportunity. Sadly so far it is just reinforcing my ignorance, although there are whole sentences that I do understand so maybe I haven't forgotten everything. I'm sorry that picture's small, but I was quite amazed that I could find one at all really.
 
 
 
Pratchett I am coming back to after a long absence and since this was there and cheap and about Australia (sort of) it would have been churlish not to buy it. And mentioning it gives me an excuse to add a picture of my favourite country in the world.
 
 
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes my heart sing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment