Friday 15 February 2013

Brain Food

Back in the day when I was doubtful that I would ever get the Ph D green light my friend Anne asked if I would be interested in joining a class she was teaching at the Lairg Learning Centre in Literature of the North Atlantic Rim. At the time I could feel my brain becoming more like a dried out sponge every day so I said yes, subject to us getting the technology to work. Obviously I can't travel to Lairg every 2 weeks, so I join in by Skype.

So far we've only done an introductory session and there were a few microphone issues which I hope will be sorted by next Thursday. At that point we start discussing our first set text which is The Good Hope by William Heinesen. The local library didn't have it so I bought it from Amazon and it came on Tuesday. Here's a picture:-



quite thick, isn't it? In fact there are 384 pages of fairly small print. To read in 10 days.

Luckily, in a way, the weather here on Wednesday was foul. High winds, high seas, rain, sleet, hail, all day. So we built up the fire and stayed at home and did nice stuff. I got through the first 100 pages of  The Good Hope.

I have to say that it is actually quite interesting; it's set in 1669 in the Faroes, and although I'm finding the first person narrator a bit irritating I've been drawn into the picture it paints  of life in an isolated island community (I wonder why?!) I don't doubt that I will get it finished in time, although whether I will have anything useful to contribute to our class discussions remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment