Tuesday 15 October 2024

A Sad Farewell

 


Yes, my wedding dress has gone. After 40 odd years of lying in a box and being carried from move to move, when we cleared out the loft the other week I decided the time had come to let it go. To be honest this was more because the box had got damaged than anything else; I could just see it in another 20 years or so spoiled because the box had let in dust and dirt and possibly insect life. And I didn't want that to happen. 

I couldn't sell it or send it to a charity shop because on my wedding day someone put a stiletto heel through the train ( I'm sure it was accidental, but it was a pity none the less.) So it has gone off to Bonnie Babies to be cut up and made into beautiful little burial gowns and wraps for still born babies. It is doing more good like that than it would be lying in my loft for another few years, and I'm glad I knew I could do that with it. My veil has gone as well but I kept the head dress, and the comb that one of the bridesmaids wore in their hair, so I'm not totally without physical reminders of the day. 

That said I was a little bit sad, but then - why do we keep them? The suit the OH wore on the day has long since gone to the Great Wardrobe in the Sky and I don't remember him being loth to part with it.  We obviously imbue this particular outfit with some sort of special significance but I do wonder why. 

Changing the subject completely many thanks for the kind words from some readers on my Forth Bridges Hat, much appreciated. And given that it is the GSoY this coming weekend, keep your eyes peeled for a companion piece, coming to you in photographic kit form very shortly!  

1 comment:

  1. What a great organisation! That's a lovely destination for your lovely dress xx

    ReplyDelete