Saturday 27 July 2024

Newstead Abbey - Attempt 2!

Well I think I've sorted the problem I've been having with the blog - let's see, shall we? 

Newstead was a Congress add on for those interested, and it turned out that was only a dozen of us. I'm not  a huge fan of Byron, or indeed the Romantic Poets in general, - too wordy, take themselves too seriously - but I had wanted to visit Newstead when we lived in Leeds and never managed. It was just that little bit too far away for a day trip , and there was nothing else in the area I was keen enough to see to make it worth a weekend. 

There had been a session at the Congress led by the Curator of Newstead and an academic who had been involved in special events and displays there for the Byron bi-centenary; I'd gone there by default as nothing else at the time looked very interesting. In the event it was very enjoyable; it was interesting seeing the presentation of a writer's home from the 'other side' as it were. I have to say that the guide we had on our guided tour on the day wasn't nearly so interesting, and seemed to know very little, especially about the special bicentenary stuff. Also he claimed to have a special family  connection to the place going back to Mary Queen of Scots. He reminded me of those people who do past life regression therapy and claim to have been Anne Boleyn, or Cleopatra. No-one was ever an in-between maid in a Victorian town house somehow. Less glamorous of course, but probably safer.

Anyway I enjoyed looking at the house although as I said the guide wasn't big on talking about most of the things I wanted to hear about, and he never paused for breath either so there was no way to ask questions. Even if I had, I had  the impression that he wouldn't know the answer. After the tour we had tea in the old kitchen, which was lovely,  and then had some free time to explore the grounds. Photos? Why, of course! 

Although had I known how much trouble it would be to post them - something else Blogger seems to have changed while I was away -  I wouldn't have chosen quite so many, And I've left a few out, because you know, life's short. 



Partial view of the outside. Put me in mind of the Musee Cluny in Paris; they were probably built around the same time. 



Given the house's origins as an Abbey, it's not surprising it has its own chapel. 



There were a lot of these little white porcelain figurines scattered about the place. We'd been told about them at the session about the house at the Congress; they were commissioned for the bicentenary and they represent Byron doing all sorts of Byron-y things. When I saw pictures of them at the talk I thought they were awful, but when they were in front of me I found them quite compelling and liked them. Here we have Byron writing at his desk, and practicing firing a pistol. Something he was prone to doing indoors apparently. 


Also displaying the origins of the house, a cloister garden. 


There were beautiful flowers all over, I was taken by this golden rose. 



The old kitchen where we had our tea. 

Then to the outside - 





Lovely grounds. There was even a Japanese garden but it was sadly neglected and overgrown. 

After Newstead we were taken to Nottingham Railway Station and I caught a train to Leeds; it was  a bit more complicated than that of course, due to closed ticket offices, works on the line, and cancelled trains between Sheffield and Leeds, so that by the time I got off the train at Leeds I was exhausted. I''d booked a rom at The Queens Hotel for the night which is right next to the station and I staggered through the door, found my room, had a meal from Room Service and a shower (in a space that wasn't a tiny wet room that reeked of damp!) and slept for 11 hours. 

Next morning I got up and caught a train to Edinburgh and then a flight to Kirkwall which was all a lot smoother than the Nottingham - Leeds leg. I was glad to get back although very conscious that I had only about 48 hours to get packed and prepared to go away again. 



1 comment: