Monday 25 April 2022

Are we suddenly all back in 1941?

I ask because a lot of my time recently has been spent either knitting for refugees (see previous post) or doing things that could have come from a Make Do and Mend page in a women's magazine circa 1938.

Last year when we were down in Devon I bought a new cardigan (regular readers may recall that there was a bit of a packing fail/weather disconnect) and I had to purchase a few emergency additions to the wardrobe, this cardigan included. I loathed the buttons on it, so in fact I never wore it on the holiday or since, but I was suddenly taken with a desire to change them and make the cardigan usable, last week. So I did. I took these buttons off


and replaced  them with these pretty floral ones that I had in my stash courtesy I think of a magazine give away several years ago.  I could have lived with the original had they all been bees, but the flower was just too bling for me and the serpent was just totally the wrong shape for a button if you wanted it to function as a button. Which I did. The flowers are a great improvement and I have since worn the cardigan several times. So that's a result. 




Some readers may remember the dull jumper saga which Google apparently doesn't want to link but May 2019.Well a while ago  I was told 'it had gone through at the elbow (lovely use of the passive voice there) and I didn't think that I had any wool left to do anything to try and mend it, so the jumper lurked on a wardrobe shelf, and presumably cried quiet tears to itself because it was no longer of any use in the  world. Actually in the back of my mind I had a feeling that there had been quite  a lot of the wool for it left but a cursory search in the most likely place had failed to turn it up so I forgot about it. Then when I was searching out wool for hats I found two full skeins and a little more of the right stuff and naturally I fell on this with cries and whoops of joy. I then had to work out what to do as the hole was quite big, the edges were felted and the wool around them very thin. There was no prospect of a darn. What I did in the end was knit two identical patches and sew one to the inside and one to the outside of the sleeve. 

I do know blogs where the writer would have taken photos of the offending hole and every stage of the mending process plus the finished article, presumably in the belief that everyone is fascinated by their mending techniques. I do not expect my readers to be fascinated by my bodged together repairs so I didn't bother with any of that. Here's a picture of the finished patch, which looks rather more visible in the photo than it does in real life. I think in real life if you didn't know the patch was there you really wouldn't notice it. 


Anyway that's by the by. The OH is pleased it was possible to mend, however bodged the job, and he has hardly had the thing off his back since. So that's another result really. 

3 comments:

  1. I need to work on making a hole in the other elbow, so it can have a matching patch (fort balance don't you know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you keep falling over because of the weight difference? (She asks, whilst being relieved that water prevents recriminations for an awful pun!)

      Delete
  2. Those buttons look familiar - I think I must have got the same magazine! Isn’t it satisfying to make things usable again?

    ReplyDelete