Saturday 16 October 2021

Devon Part 4

So the Wednesday was my birthday and we took things easy. We started off with a walk around the lake that was part of the property and on which we should have  been able to row, not that the iron has entered my soul over that or anything. It was very pretty



Later we drove over into Cornwall where the OH's brother lives, just on the other side of the Devon/ Cornwall border. We met at his house where the OH's cousin and his wife had already arrived and we all went out to lunch at the local pub. It was a fun time, although having havered over my choice of dessert I made the error of selecting the cheesecake. This had a rock hard base that really needed a chisel to penetrate it, although I managed a little of it by spearing it with my fork and knocking on the top of that with my spoon. Most of it got left, which mean most of what I ate was vaguely strawberry flavoured gloop. I should know better than to order cheesecake when I'm out really. 

We then went back to brother-in-laws house where there was coffee and cake! 


and had I known about the cake I probably wouldn't have bothered with dessert at lunch. We had a good old family gossip in the afternoon - I hadn't seen cousin and wife since my mother in law's funeral so it was good to catch up, and I was really touched that they had driven down from Gloucestershire so we could all be together. The fact that it was my birthday was purely coincidental, A had made the arrangements with his brother over the telephone weeks before and I heard him say the day and the date and then he came back to report to me and said It'll be the 4th and I said, so it will, and that's my birthday. Which obviously had not registered with him at all. Not that I was complaining as I thought it would be  a lovely way to spend my birthday, and it was. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great day! I know just what you mean about ordering cheese ake in restaurants 😉😉

    ReplyDelete