Saturday 30 October 2021

Books to Read Poster No 30

 


As is often the case I don't think you would guess the book from the icon, but it was Margaret Attwood's The Handmaid's Tale. 

I borrowed it in audible format from the library. I thought I had read it before but there was a whole swathe about two thirds of the way through of which I  had no memory at all, so I can only assume that I read so far, and then skipped to the end. 

Having now listened to the whole thing I cannot take my younger self to task for doing that. I found the whole thing so utterly depressing; reinforcing once again that there are infinite numbers of ways that men can find to control and repress women and that when they can get away with it they do, and they do it with relish,. And the most disheartening thing about it is that some women , for good or bad but almost always totally understandable reasons, make themselves complicit in this male agenda. 

It's a brave, clever, farsighted book but it left me sickened and despairing. I really should read something cheerful now, but in fact I am slogging my way through the current tome for Saturday Slaughters and that's going to be another total miss. Oh well ... 


1 comment:

  1. I agree - it’s brilliantly written, but I can’t bring myself to start the sequel at present…

    ReplyDelete