Monday 23 August 2021

A Week in Leeds (part 2)

So we're going backwards because that's the way the computer decided to put the pictures up and I'm not well today so I can't face deleting them all and then working out how to get them on here the right way round. 




These were Thursday when the Dorthy Dunnett group met up in a member's house in Harrogate. We hardly talked about the books. We've been friends (most of us) for 35+ years; anything we wanted to say about Lymond or Niccolo we said a long time ago. It was a good day though with a lovely lunch provided by A. and lots of post Covid catching up.



Wednesday - the two people up above have been a real inspiration to me. I met them on my first tentative steps back into academia when I did my M A in Victorian Studies. That's waaaaay back; we started in 1999. In a creepy foreshadowing, I graduated a year later than they did as I had had to take a year off because of problems with my eyes. We've been good friends ever since. We had lunch in a lovely Italian Restaurant in Ilkley on their roof terrace; great views of the surrounding countryside. The weather closed in half way through but they had moveable windows and roof. Amazing to watch them automatically come into play. 

I went to Ilkley on the bus and came back on one too. Sadly I did not come back on the 4.15 which had been my plan because the 4.15 simply vanished. One minute it was on the 'next bus at this stop is...' sign, and the next minute, well at about 4.12 it wasn't. And it never arrived. Fortunately I had armed myself with my charity shop book purchases, so I had something to do other than shiver in the rain and luckily the 4.45 did pitch up more or less on time. 



Tuesday I was collected by a former work colleague and we went to a local Garden Centre for a substantial 'afternoon tea' aka my main meal that day. I should point out that that photo was taken very close to the tea tray which makes everything on it look way larger than it really was. 

So that was my lovely week in Leeds and there were still several people I didn't manage to see. I know from experience that I cannot cope with seeing more than one person/set of people in a day which is restricting, but trying to do more than that is not a good idea so I no longer try. Next time ...

The OH joined me on Thursday evening and on Friday morning we set off on the next stage of my adventure. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had such a great time, managing to see so many friends. I love the sound of that rooftop restaurant!

    ReplyDelete