Friday 16 October 2020

What is it about cowls?

The OH doesn't think much of cowls. I don't know what he's got against them, I've certainly never ventured to make him one to wear so it's not the result of an unhappy experience. Maybe he just thinks they're a weak non-manly excuse for a scarf. 

I on the other hand love them. And while I'll admit that part of the reason is that they're fairly quick to knit and a good use for one ball of rather nice yarn in a weight unsuitable for socks, there's more to it than that. 

I'm not good with scarves. I'm OK with the woolly ones you wrap yourself in when the weather is cold but drapey, accessory type scarves I just can't get away with. It's a bit like flower arranging, some people drop a few flowers in a jug and its art. I drop a few flowers in a jug and they just look wrong. Too few. Too many. Too unbalanced. And it's the same with scarves. Some people can 'do' them. Some people ie me, can't. And this is where the cowl comes in. 

Cowls come in all sorts of sizes. There are the wider ones that fill in the gap at the top of a v-necked  jacket or coat. Also useful for pulling up and protecting ears if it turns chilly. I even have one that did duty as a hat one cold evening in Stockholm! There are narrower ones which basically hug your neck and instantly take away the severity of a dark or round necked top (when you're my age round necked tops tend not to be a good look.)And there are longer ones that are basically loops and they look like an artistically draped scarf All i all they're a really versatile little accessory. 

Which has of course all been leading up to a picture of my latest cowl, finished just before the pink and grey socks. 




1 comment: