Friday 27 March 2020

Spring is springing

And we are out there once a day looking at it. I have instituted a joint daily walk, although for the last couple of days it has not been quite so 'joint' as the OH was too busy with work yesterday to come with me and he's already been out today to post An Important Letter, while I was still abed! Yes the letter was That Important. 

So we are looking about us and taking photos of the evidence of spring and yesterday I captured these. 


the now traditional spring photo of the miniature daffodils in our rockery


Lordly cat,  king of all he surveys. Obviously this one has nothing to do with spring, but I took it anyway


A neighbours willow tree. Three days ago this looked dead - and yesterday it was covered in catkins - some of them really plump , as below



Be assured that taking the photo did not involve going anywhere near the neighbour's house. We are not unmindful of the regulations governing our new way of life. The tree is by the road


I'm fascinated by the regularity of the bits of fleece. I know it's because the barbs in the wire are set regularly and the sheep just brush up against it, but it looks so deliberate, and like a little row of woolly flags drawing you along the road


Daffodils at the bottom of the drive 


and a sheep patiently waiting to give birth, but meanwhile posing for a photo. 

As regards the regulations I had been under the erroneous impression until yesterday that it was allowable to travel in a car to a place to go for a walk, but it seems that this is not so, and that the police on Orkney are as keen as the police anywhere else ( possibly even keener) to enforce the restriciton. This is annoying as I shall get monkey sick of the road outside my house (well let's be honest I was monkey sick of it before CV was even a thing) and all the places we would drive to to walk are even more deserted than the road by the house. However we have no wish to be pulled over by a cop car and asked to account for our movements or justify being out of the house so I suppose we will have to make the best of it and next week turn left at the bottom of the drive instead of right. Since this is the way to the bus stop/local shop I cannot say it is any more a stranger  to me than the piece of road to the right, but it is, infinitesimally, the road less travelled and there are one or two more options along it. So we'll see how it goes. 

1 comment:

  1. Our plans to go for a nice isolated drive, so that I have different scenery to look at, have been scuppered...

    ReplyDelete