Sunday 5 January 2020

Hoping for Calm Seas


We are off again tomorrow on what has become a traditional January trip to Glasgow. It's always been for the Scottish Opera Emerging Artist January recital before, last year we added the ballet  and this year there is a bonus in the shape of a Masterclass which Scottish Opera have thrown into the mix.  

The OH is doing the trip twice, coming back to Orkney in between things mainly to give the cats a few days respite from being in the cattery.  And also because he has on-call work commitments. Since I have no on-call commitments and it doesn't take two of us to look after the cats and really, just because I can, I am staying in Glasgow until after the ballet on 18th. 

In the past this would have meant a silent blog as I don't faff about taking my laptop to Glasgow, generally just relying on my tablet. However in a triumph of hope over experience I signed up for the new Duolingo Scottish Gaelic course when it came out in December. It tends to get angsty if you abandon it for several days. What it would do if I ignored it for almost a fortnight I cannot imagine. I assume the reminder e-mails would get very testy indeed. And in any case I don't want to stop for that length of time, as it seems to be going quite well, but the secret to all language learning is to keep at it every day and practice practice practice. So I am taking the laptop to enable me to do that. And that means I can blog while I'm down there too. 

There are high winds forecast for tomorrow so we are crossing our fingers that the ferry will still sail. 

Tìoraidh, an-dràsta! 

1 comment:

  1. I used Duolingo for Spanish, and found it really well put together. Enjoy Glasgow!

    ReplyDelete