Wednesday 28 February 2018

Little Things

The OH and I got new dressing gowns and pyjamas while we were down in Glasgow and honestly, such a little thing but  it cheered me up no end. My previous dressing gown was 'well old' as in I think it was bought when we lived at our first address in Leeds which makes it older than Son No 2 by  a few years and he's 27. And the  OH's, which he has clung to like a determined toddler with a 'blanky' was even older, but had Mickey Mouse on it; hence the clinging obviously. 

My sister once said that Orkney was lovely but she couldn't live so far from a Marks and Spencer which at the time I thought was odd, but then at that point I hadn't  lived for several years with the nearest M & S  an 8 hour ferry, or a 90 minute ferry and a 150 minute drive,  away. I have now, and I totally understand what she meant. Our trips to Glasgow now almost invariably include a quick drive out to the Braehead shopping centre where there are a lot of nice shops (Pandora, Hotel Chocolat, although not an Occitane en Provence which I feel is a lack), some not so nice ones, and a large M & S. Other department stores are of course available, but M & S is the one I spend huge amounts of money in when we're there,  because one thing Orkney is not good at is shops for women's clothes.

Anyway we got son no 2 a black suit, which he needed for something I shall doubtless be talking about later, and we both got dressing gowns, which we had gone in for, and new pairs of pyjamas which we hadn't, just because, and I remembered the now funny story of the year we bought my mother a new dressing gown for Christmas.

She was a difficult person to buy presents for so I was thrilled one September to hear her mention how old her dressing gown was; she had bought it in preparation for the birth of my sister and by then said sister was  in her early twenties, so I stored up this little nugget and come Christmas duly bought her a lovely new dressing gown (much much nicer than the dark pink candlewick one she had been wearing for the last two decades). Only to be told that she needed a new dressing gown like she needed a hole in the head. In fairness she and my father had been away for Christmas and it had been a stressful time for several reasons, possibly some of which I don't know about to this day, but I didn't know that at the time and n any case, who says that to someone about a gift they've just been given?

As I say, it's a funny story now, but it hurt like hell at the time. 


2 comments:

  1. Less than thoughtful!

    So, what do your new ones look like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well mine is a snuggly velour type thing with a black background and a riot of daisy like flowers running over it in white yellow and peach, pyjama trousers to match with two alternative tops in two different shades of green. A's is a heavy navy cotton with a small cream print and maroon piping. Very smart and not a Disney character in sight!

      Delete