Thursday 18 January 2018

Glasgow, Bad Weather and a Domestic Disaster. Also - Yarn

We are back from our opera related break in Glasgow.  Opera related  since we didn't actually see an opera but we certainly had a lot of interaction with singers and Scottish Opera. 

So remember when I wrote about how we were flying down so that we didn't have to worry about cancelled ferries and the state of the roads? And we thought we had been so sensible - right up until they cancelled our flight to Glasgow and bundled us on to the Edinburgh flight instead!To be fair to the airline (Loganair) they did pay for a taxi all the way to Glasgow from Edinburgh, and the nice taxi driver who was told to take us to Glasgow Airport agreed to take us straight to the flat instead. That was a win-win, because he had less far to go and got a generous tip, and we were spared the hassle and expense and time involved in getting  a taxi from Glasgow airport to the flat, so it could have been worse. The irony was that the ferries were running normally and the A9 was clear so we could have gone by sea and road as per usual without a problem. That said, the road was not so clear the day we came home, so it's not as cut and dried as all that. We did a lot of walking while we were away which was fine, and the OH coped better than anticipated with the lack of the car. Although he would rather have had it, and so would I. It was cold. Not as cold as it was here in Orkney, and not as cold as it is in Glasgow now (or indeed Orkney either come to that) but cold enough that I'd rather have been in a car than on the footpath.  

We got back just ahead of the predicted snowfalls for the northern isles and although they weren't quite as awful as forecast they were bad enough. We managed to crawl into town on Tuesday so that I could make it to my hair appointment but rather than the full works I opted for a quick dry cut so that we could get back before the next snowfall. It was pretty at first, as snow always is, but it has now reached the mucky slushy stage which hides the slippery bits and makes normal life just about achievable but only by putting in ten times the normal effort. I am impatient for it all to be gone. 

The dishwasher behaved impeccably the day we came back, but by the next day had obviously decided that it had been taken for granted for Far Too  Long and made its general usefulness to life very clear by refusing, without any warning at all, to work. As I write there is A Man who has been sent to fix it working in the kitchen, and I hope he finds the fault and puts it right because this is  not the time of year to be either without a working dishwasher or  to have to fork out for a new one. Although by the time we've paid his call out charge from Stromness and for the putative repair itself, buying a new one might not seem such a bad option. We'll see. 

And the yarn, purchased as intended for Grandson No 2's Christmas jumper (and hat) 2018, is here 


It's a Nordic pattern and should look really nice. I did a tension square/gauge swatch earlier this afternoon, as is now my habit, and much to my surprise I was spot on with the recommended needle size. Since the last time I checked, for the ganseys, I had to go down 3 sizes, and the time before that for the OH's jumper I had to go up two I am a bit flummoxed by the whole tension/gauge thing, but I have decided to roll with it since I do like to produce clothing that fits! It's knitted from the top down, a technique I have previously used only on  (sadly) small burial gowns  and cardigans for premature babies so I'll be interested to see how this goes. 

Also in the yarn world I have done something A Bit Rash, but more of that later I'm sure!

2 comments:

  1. And of course if you’d gone by ferry, all crossings would have been cancelled! Travel - Sod’s Law in action 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you realise that I will be on the edge of my seat awaiting the revelation of your 'A Bit Rash' action?
    I have so far managed two failures of socks on a loom, but the third effort, done with the wool doubled, looks like it might be good to go, I just need the resident sock model (son's girlfriend) to try it on!

    ReplyDelete