Friday 10 November 2017

The Japanese hava a word for it

or so Facebook tells me. It was in a link put up by someone and I didn't read it all, or indeed take in the actual word, but basically it's a collective noun for all those books on your bedside table that pile up unread. I did not realise that this was a general thing, enough of a thing indeed to have a word dedicated to it, even if only in Japanese, but I thought it was interesting that it is. 

Now I don't have a bedside table but I do have a chest of drawers beside the bed and there is indeed a pile of unread or half read books on there. And rather than put them away, or give them away or leave them there to moulder I decided to integrate them into my great reading project. Which I have proceeded to do. 

The Great Reading Project is something I have dreamed up to keep my mind a bit active while I take the enforced break from my studies. Although I cannot read for long periods of time and struggle with text which I cannot basically hold up to the end of my nose, I can still read, which I am grateful for. 

So the GRP was in two parts until I saw the Facebook thing about the Japanese word at which point it  became three.  I am sorry in a way that it cannot just be one huge single thing, but I have always had a habit of complicating my life in all sorts of daft ways and directions, and obviously this is no exception. 

So here's the deal. First off, in order to get myself out of my crime fiction rut I am reading one book a month recommended to me by someone else which is way out of my comfort zone. The only restriction I have placed on this is that it should be a work of fiction, and not crime fiction. Secondly, I'm going to work my way through the pile of books by the bedside, and that is now reduced from nine to eight so that was a good start. And thirdly I have treated myself to the 100 Books Bucket List poster from the  Literary Gift Company ( if you like stuff to do with books, check that out but hide your credit card first!)  OK the list is arbitrary, as all these lists are, but it will be good discipline for me, it will take me out of my comfort zone quite often and - such excitement -  when you have finished reading each book there's a little panel to scrape off - like the silver bits on lottery tickets, and the prospect of that just thrills me. Little things pleasing little minds no doubt.

So we'll see how we go. Adventures in reading. What could be better? (apart form two properly functioning eyes?) 

3 comments:

  1. I have two piles - fiction and embroidery books - but they’re now so tall that I have had to start another pile on top of them and at right angles, to try to keep them from toppling when nudged. The new pile already has fiction, embroidery *and* other non-fiction, all in the same pile. Plus a box of battery-operated fairy lights on top.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well where else would you keep your fairy lights?

      Delete
  2. Would it undermine your project to ask for a list of recommended crime fiction?

    ReplyDelete