Thursday 23 November 2017

Just Too Tempting

I am, as we all know, attempting to reduce my wool stash, and in this respect if in no other, suspending my Ph D studies is a good thing. To a certain extent it's working, because I keep knitting and if I'm at home in Orkney there's no real pull to go and buy wool anywhere. Of course when I'm not in Orkney it's a different thing because I can visit lovely wool shops that stock all sorts of nice things I can't  get here or have never previously heard of, and sometimes these things are difficult to resist. Which would account for the skein of WYS Croft Shetland Tweed which has magically added itself to the pile. But come on - it's a gorgeous yarn, it couldn't be left on the shelf,  and anyway how long can it take to knit up one solitary skein of aran weight? 

And then there are the totally unexpected things. Like an e-mail offer on a kit to knit 'the ultimate festive bunting'. I couldn't resist, although to be honest I'm still a bit bemused about that. Why did I buy it? 

It's partly because it was on offer. 
Its partly because it's very Scandinavian in overall effect.
It's partly to prove I can do it.
And it's partly to protect me from buying a cushion or blanket kit from the same designer , which are very tempting indeed but which I know with a deep down rock solid certainty that  I would never finish and which would therefore be a complete waste of money. 

These are all excellent motives for buying it (particularly number four) and obviously outweighed for me, in some moment of temporary madness the excellent reasons for not buying it which are 

I am not a bunting person.
I might never finish it
It might be too complicated for me to knit 
I am not a bunting person, and indeed in the past have been quite scathing on the particular subject of knitted bunting
I probably don't  have time to do it, given that I still have a jumper to complete for grandson number one, in time for it to reach Canada for Christmas ( the one for grandson number 2 has been done for ages and indeed went off to Canada today) 
And I am not a bunting person. I know I mentioned that before, but really I cannot stress it enough. 

Still have a look at it ( in deconstructed form ) 




The only possible responses are 'How could I resist?' and  It's gonna be great!


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. yeah, and I liked the triangular shapes, sort of medieval. I started it this evening and so far so good ...

      Delete
  2. I am seriously looking forwards to the pictures of the finished item!! (Or is it items?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it's 15 separate little pennant type things all then knitted onto a long knitted string with beads on it. So far I have done 2 of the pennants ... but that's not bad going since I only started on Friday evening. You may be inundated with photos of the 'work in progress'

      Delete