Friday 8 September 2017

Some knitting for a change

Remember this?

Well I have finally finished using up one of the balls of wool I got to recompense me for the horror that was some of the Aura chunky.

To wit

I am not a huge fan of knitted bobbles and I'm not a huge fan of the technique of wrapping extra stitches in one row only to drop them the next, mainly because my first, and only previous, try was a bit of a disaster, because I occasionally forgot the wrap bit. 

However I managed to remember to wrap, and to drop, consistently with this which is progress of a sort. The mittens in the pattern had only holes to put your thumbs through so I thought I would be clever and include some thumb covering - how hard could it be? Let's just say that now I know why patterns for mitts with thumbs generally include a thumb gusset! I can thole the bobbles on this since they look a bit like grapes on a vine and there aren't too many of them. 

I finished the wrap ages ago but had let the mitts fester because they were cast off and needed sewing up and sewing up is not  my favourite thing. I have too many things hanging about almost but not quite finished and hopefully I'll get a few of them sorted over the autumn and their attendant bags put away so that I can see more of my study floor. 

A girl can dream! As for the other ball of free yarn, well that will have to wait its turn to get cast on. 

2 comments:

  1. Exactly. You don't want to over-excite yourself 😉😉😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a knitter anywhere who LIKES sewing up?
    And I know what you mean about thumbs! AND I am inspired to consider knitting me a new scarf, I have not 'done' a scarf in years and years and years . . .

    ReplyDelete