Sunday 17 September 2017

Project 60 - Number 60

And in a spirit of Gaelic circularity, the last one, like the first one, is trying an unfamiliar foodstuff. How good is that? Well, it's  a bit artificial really, because I am writing it up out of sequence, although not by much, and it gives the whole project a note of closure that pleases me. 



So, yup, blue cheese. I don't know how many times in my life I have said in relation to a cheeseboard or a ploughman's lunch 'Please leave off the  blue cheese'. Which I did because I knew I didn't like blue cheese. Even though I'd never tried it. Because in what other context do you deliberately eat mouldy food, for goodness sake? 

So, on the infamous business class flight to Stockholm, the cheese they served was Stilton, and I thought I would try it. I was still quite hungry after a less than thrilling starter and main, and I thought maybe the bits in between the mould would be alright. So I gave it a go. See that little gouge in the photograph? That's the size of the piece I put in my mouth. 

It was disgusting. (other opinions are doubtless available.

Overall, the trying new food thing hasn't been a huge success. Way way back there was the green olive tapenade, and then there was the kangaroo and the crocodile, and none of those are ever likely to feature in my diet on a regular basis. Not that I would know where to source crocodile or 'roo while living on Orkney. I suppose the beaver tails were a bit of a success, and the north African meal too, but generally I wonder if I'm too old to take on new food. Maybe my taste buds have petrified. But at least I tried. 

Anyway, tomorrow I head for the Central Belt for almost a week. Basically it's for the last two bits of research that have to be done elsewhere, but that's Thursday. The rest of the time is shaping up to be a whirl of meeting people and going places; some in Embra and some in Glasgow. I will be shattered by the time I get back next Saturday night. On the other hand I should have some interesting stuff to write about. 

5 comments:

  1. I'll rustle you up a nice curry for when you get back? No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the end of an era....overall, what are your feelings about Project 60?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to do a blog post about that when I get back. Generally very positive though.

      Delete
    2. If it was not for my annoying intolerance to lactose I would offer to eat ALL the blue cheese for you, I LOVE it.

      Delete