Thursday 7 September 2017

Project 60 No 57 - Kew Gardens

No, I'd never been. Been to London a few times but never got as far as Kew. The National Archives being in Kew and my research not having taken up very much time we decided to go and have a look. 

I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it hadn't been so hot. They are very extensive and many of the interesting bits are  a long way from one anther. Also I would have liked to get on the little hop-on, hop-off train that takes you between the interesting bits, but that was obviously not on the OH's agenda. Sadly.

Never mind. The OH had ben there before as a child and I asked him where we should go first. Did I mention what a hot day it was? In which case you might be surprised that he decided the first port of call had to be the palm house. I found a seat and sent him off to look at palms from five continents without me. I am not really very much more interested in plants than I am in food, and if a plant is to catch my attention what it really needs to do is have a flower. It has to be said that palms are a bit of a failure in this respect. It didn't take him long. It was oppressively hot in there. 


Anyway there it is from the outside. Just behind it is the rose garden (flowers, yay!)



and a little way off to the left the water lily house - nice architecture, but the water lilies were a bit meh


We had a bit of a walk and sat under a tree 


that's not the one we sat under, but it's a gloriously red Canadian maple. Sadly the photo doesn't do it justice really. 

 



Then we went to look at the alpine house and rock garden which were both very nice 

After that, which had all taken several hours, we were too hot and uncomfortable to do much more so we had a snack in the café and a nurdle round the gift shop (where I spent a little bit of money, but mainly on other people) and then we went back to the hotel.

While it would have been a much better experience if it hadn't been so hot and humid, I have to say I enjoyed this one. I'd happily go back and look at some of the bits that were just too far away to be reachable when the weather was so unco-operative. Should we ever find ourselves in London and at a loose end. Which happens like, never. 



1 comment:

  1. I've been once, but not on a hot day. It must have been exhausting 😳😳

    ReplyDelete