Wednesday 12 April 2017

Project 60 Number 46 - The Glasgow Necropolis


Another bucket list one. I've wanted to visit the Glasgow Necropolis for ages. People have been talking to me about it for years and I have a dim distant memory of seeing it featured on an episode of Taggart, probably when the program still actually had Taggart in it!
 
We had a sort of spare day in Glasgow before we set off for Stockholm and I'd hoped we might have time to go to the Cathedral as well as look at the Necropolis, but in the event the OH was working for most of the day so time was limited and the Necropolis was all I got. Still it was worth it. It was a cold  dreich day, but then that's the sort of weather you want when you visit a cemetery really isn't it?
 
Lots of photos, because I found the place amazing. Not convinced the OH was quite as enthusiastic but then he doesn't have an MA in Victorian Studies so Victorian cemeteries don't have quite the same pull for him as for me.
 
 
Spring Daffodils in Glasgow
 
 
A View of the Top - Looks a bit alien - opening pic from Dr Who perhaps?

 
More spring flowers - a cheery corner
 


 
Houses of the Dead

 
I feel this one should have a quotation from Ozymandias  on it, but I can't think of one off-hand.

 
And you get a great view of Glasgow Cathedral from near the top.
 

2 comments:

  1. It's on my 'to do' list as well - and I live a LOT closer to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm incredibly jealous! I do love a Victorian graveyard...

    ReplyDelete