Friday 28 April 2017

Project 60 No 48 - Commissioning a piece of music

Yup, new music from a real live composer!
 
So here's how it happened. Someone who gave some money for the GCH stone is a composer and happened to remark that it was a shame that not more of Hay's songs had been set to music and that got me thinking about how mice it would be to have a new setting of one of them for the occasion of the unveiling.
 
Not numbering many - well any - composers amongst my general acquaintance, and never having done anything like this before,  I approached Scottish Opera asking if it was something their Emerging Artist Composer, Lliam Paterson  would be prepared to take on, and if not, could they point me I the direction of someone else who might.
 
In the event they were keen to help. I sent a choice of three poems to Lliam, he picked the one that inspired him the most and once it was done Scottish Opera even 'lent' one of their baritones to record it. I didn't hear it until we played it during the unveiling ceremony, but it was amazing. I shall have it listen to it a few more times before I quite get a handle on it, but I'm looking forward to getting to know it better. I was also given a copy of the score and despite not being a show offy person I am going to photocopy the front page with my name on it, get it framed and hang it on a wall somewhere. 

In addition to this new work we also had a recording of Alasdair Whyte from the University of Glasgow singing one of Hay's Gaelic songs. I was sorry Alasdair couldn't be with us on the day, as he had to be in Ireland but his music was well received and I'm glad that I managed to arrange both an English and a Gaelic song to be performed.

3 comments:

  1. Is the song either available or going to be available somewhere for plebs like me to listen to? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well if Lliam ever gets round to sending me the sound file he promised I'll see what I can do.And I know you're not a pleb.

      Delete