Saturday 12 November 2016

Project 60 - Number 39 - Glyndebourne


And although I didn't make a definitive list for Project 60, if I had then going to Glyndebourne would be on it. Because if you live in the British Isles and you're an opera lover wanting to go to Glyndebourne is a given. Which is why,  despite the fact that we had already been away more than was good for us this year, when we saw the advert back in April for the trip to Glyndebourne we signed up.
 
It wasn't the Summer Festival where you have to go in black tie and long dresses and arrive with your ancient family picnic hamper full of coronation chicken and vintage champagne (let's be honest, we're never going to make it to that, since the nearest we have to an ancient family picnic hamper is a green canvas picnic set that I got free with a purchase from Cotton Traders) No this was the Autumn Tour, which is an odd moniker considering that they're not touring but performing in the Glyndebourne Opera House as per. However this is the precursor to the tour; same production, same singers, just bedding in before being taken on the road.
 
Normal caveats apply in house about taking photographs ie you can't, but you can take them outside so voila
 

 
No I have no idea what the horses head is all about either!
 
Sadly both times when we arrived  it was too late in the day to wander round the gardens. so we had perforce to content ourselves with the art exhibition and the gift shop. In the gift shop I was not impressed with the fridge magnets, to the extent that I didn't even buy one, although I did invest in a couple of postcards and two tins of mints.
 
That being said we went for the opera, so how was that? The first night we saw their first ever Madam Butterfly, which was a strange production in some ways, but perfectly palatable. The Korean girl singing Butterfly was excellent; the first Butterfly ever to bring tears to my eyes during Un Bel Di. This is partly because in my mind that aria is inextricably entwined with the loss of the Scottish Independence Referendum, and as such upsets me regardless, but to imply that that was all it was would be to do a disservice to the young soprano, who truly was very very good.
 
The next night was Don Giovanni, which we had seen quite recently at Drottningholm and this was I think better. Donna Anna was sung by the same singer as at D which was interesting. Glyndebourne is of course renowned for its Mozart which probably accounts for this being streets better than the Butterfly overall. It was a very energetic and spirited performance that I enjoyed very much.
 
But here's the thing. Going to Glyndebourne is such a Big Thing, and I had built it up in my head as something that would be totally unforgettable. In the event, it was a bit of an anti-climax. Especially for the Butterfly for some reason, I couldn't shake the feeling of 'It's just another venue for putting on an opera'. It didn't say 'special' to me in the way that say Sydney Opera House does. No buzz, no excitement, everyone was just a trifle blasé. I suppose this is what happens when the audience becomes more important (or consider themselves more important) than the opera.
 
Pleased I've been? Oh yes. Would I go again? Actually, no.

2 comments:

  1. The exhibition of the shortlisted artworks by young 'emerging artists' for the cover of the tour program was very interesting. Some as young as 16, and really all of them very good. Now there is an idea for our friends at Scottish Opera ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - sometimes you build something up in your head so much that the reality can't possibly compete...

    Interesting to see the same singer in the same role, in a different production!

    ReplyDelete