Monday 8 August 2016

Project 60 - Number 28


When I started Project 60 it never occurred to me that I might end up doing something for it which I was really reluctant to do. I imagined that everything would be something I'd vaguely thought it wold be 'good to get around to' or definitely wanted to do, or presented itself as a good idea. I never dreamed I'd ever do anything that I was really uncomfortable doing.

But that has proved to be the case with Number 28, which is setting up a crowd funder. Since I hate asking people for help to do anything, and particularly hate asking people for money, it has been a hard thing to do, but I have done it and it has been/is a continuing experience, even if not a particularly pleasant one.

On the upside people have responded to it, not in their droves, but enough that it's heartening.
 
The project is a very niche one, in that I am trying to raise some money towards putting a Commemorative Stone into The Makar's Court for George Campbell Hay, who is the subject of my Ph D thesis. I was amazed to discover that he wasn't already there, but there again stones are usually placed by family or by the members of a society dedicated to the work of a particular author. GCH has neither of those things, so I have chosen to take it on.
 
To be honest I would like just to be able to write a cheque to cover the cost myself and let the people at The Writers Museum put in the stone without fuss, but it doesn't work that way. There has to be an 'unveiling' with a lot of bells and whistles, which I'm not looking forward to, but that's a way down the track. At present we're waiting for the stonemason to 'come up with a design'. I'm not quite sure how that goes, since as far as I know all the stones simply have the writers name, dates and a quotation from their work, so opportunity for 'design' per se seem limited, but who am I to question. They do this stuff all the time, so they will know better than me.
 
Anyway, we'll see how it goes. If you'd like to look at the campaign, it's here
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. As long as you don't turn into Lynda Snell, with the Resurgam stone (no chance of that, I know 😉😉) H xx

    ReplyDelete