Saturday 25 June 2016

Project 60 Number 24


Yup, we're back in Oz, or rather, taking up the story, and Number 24 is riding The Ghan.

I can't remember when or how I first heard about The Ghan but from the moment I did I wanted to travel on it. It coves the length of  Australia from North to South (or South to North if you prefer) and we joined it in Darwin and went south to Adelaide.  More info here if you're interested

We were picked up from our hotel in Darwin and taken to the terminal and I'm not ashamed to say that I had tears pricking in my eyes when I first laid eyes on the train. It was partly actually seeing it in the 'flesh', partly realising that I really really was going to ride on it after wanting to for so long, and partly the excitement of the thought of watching Australia go past my window for 3 days and being able to see all the changes in the landscape. Not contributing to the tears, but certainly to the feeling of excitement was knowing we were going to be in a properly functioning air conditioned environment for most of the time too.
 
So, we had our own compartment which looked like this. The seats converted into a double bed at night. (Not magically of their own accord, we had a steward who did that sort of thing. Embarrassing really. I honestly think we'd have been more comfortable doing it ourselves, but that wasn't an option.)
 


It had its own smart,  if rather small, en-suite shower room.

 
and obviously themed designer accessories

 
the food was what I would have called, as a child, Dead Posh. Sadly this meant that I didn't like a lot of it, but was proud of myself for trying it, On the plate below the dark meat is kangaroo, and the white disc is crocodile. Couldn't eat much of either, but I gave them a go.

 
And whenever we had an excursion off the train we came back to find this waiting for us. We didn't know what it was until almost the end of the trip but it was cold and refreshing and very welcome each time.
 
 
Turns out it was simply iced green tea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment