Tuesday 7 June 2016

Kakadu

Before launching into our adventures in Kakadu I should say that one of the very few consolations about our time in the NT was the fruit. I have never tasted such delicious melon and mango as we had there and don't expect to again unless we venture once more into tropical climes. Which we're really not in a hurry to do.

So we had booked a two day trip to Kakadu and with hindsight one would have been enough since days one and two were very similar. Which is not to say that it wasn't all weird and wonderful, but honestly one would have been enough.

Lets get the bad stuff over with first. We were in a small coach/minibus thing and had a combined driver and guide called Ray. He was rubbish. Actually it was worse than that, he was rubbish and rascist as well, which was sad since he was our only source of information about the original aboriginal culture of the region. He really did claim to be 'good friends with some aborigines'. Need I say more...?
 
 It was a lovely day and we saw many interesting and unusual things, but the subtext was that really it was too hot to enjoy very much of it. My tip for Kakadu, if like me you get very hot and bothered by heat,  would be to go when it's cooler. As I did get very hot and bothered I was horrified to discover at the end of the day that we were about to spend the night in a hotel that had been built shaped like a crocodile. Could anything be more tacky? Of which more anon.....
 
But as most of enjoying Kakadu was to do with the flora and fauna,  let's have some pictures.
 
 
Boat Trip


Park Ticket
 

Ubiquitous Gum growing in water



This made me think of the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader where they sail so far east the sea becomes just a mass of lilies.

See I did know what this bird was called when we first came back but it's been so long I've forgotten!

Pretty Flowers


Rock Art



 
 
 


 
 


1 comment: